National Honor Society Welcomes New Members

Addison Slie

NHS inductees are eager to get out and serve the community. Each student has worked extremely hard to get to the position they’re at now, and strive to make Huntsville a better place.

Addison Slie

National Honor Society, or NHS is a club at Huntsville High School that devotes their time to giving back to the community. On Tuesday, October 11 from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm, NHS inducted new members into their club in the HHS auditorium. Old members have graduated, and it’s now time for new people to join and help out the community.

“The purpose of NHS is to create an enthusiasm for scholarship, to stimulate a desire to render service, to promote worthy leadership, and to encourage the development of character in its members. To be eligible for membership, members must have demonstrated academic excellence, involvement in school organizations, and service to the community,” said club sponsor Angela Gaston.

NHS has been  a predominate organization at the high school for many years and leaves a lasting impact on each student that is a member. Students continue to have a serving attitude even after graduation. But, for the people still in high school, NHS means a whole lot more.

“NHS means a way for me to reach out and help people, to give back to the community. I can go out and volunteer and make myself and society more well known. I can make the world a better place,” said Chloe Weich.

Mrs. Gaston along with the rest of the returning NHS members have a lot planned for this year and cannot wait to get started. From selling sandwiches, picking up trash on highway 75 N, and having a senior citizen dance, NHS is doing their very best to make Huntsville a better place.

“In NHS this year I plan to help our other members that struggled last year to be more motivated, and to do more than they did last year. I also want to set a great example for the new inductees so that when we leave, they can carry on what we have set up for them,” said Ashley Hunziker.

There is a large group of students being inducted in this year. Each inductee is very different, but alike in the sense that they want to help our community. To become a member of NHS, a person has to maintain a GPA of 4.8. They also have to complete a required amount of individual and group community service hours.

“I expect to get a lot of life experience. I want to help people, and interact socially with the community. I feel it will be a very life changing experience, and can’t wait to be a part of it,” said inductee Blake Thompson.

“It is always refreshing to receive new members into NHS because they have such enthusiasm for service projects. They are so proud to be a part of such a prestigious organization, and they are usually eager to give of their time and energy in any way asked of them. This group of inductees seems particularly excited about raising money for local charities, and that is so great to see! Having taught each one of these kids, I can personally attest to the uncommon compassion they have toward others and the willingness to give of their time in service. As sophomores and juniors, they were first to volunteer for service opportunities, even though they were not receiving any kind of credit,” said Gaston.

Everyone is excited about the new induction and cannot wait to get out there and serve. Our community is very important to the members of NHS and they enjoy making it a better place.

“We plan to do more things that involve the community. Things that would go to different branches, different ages, and different generations in the community to make it like a big family,” said Ryen Strong.