How are Teachers Important to the Growth of Youth Today?

Madeleine Dierksheide

Teacher and coach Robert Taylor takes pride in working with students in dual credit to help them transition from high school to college level school work and maturity levels.

Martin Oteng

Teachers follow students through each pivotal stage of development. At six to eight hours a day, five days a week, teachers are poised to become one of the most influential people in the lives of youth.

“My favorite teacher teaches me to be a better student and become a bigger person in life someday,” said junior, Andrew Mayers.

Teachers help students to accomplish better learning by tutoring to help the student to gain a better understanding in the class.

“They are willing to help me but I have to put forth the effort,” said Junior Crosby Pineda.  

After their parents, children will first learn from their elementary school teacher. Then, middle school teachers guide students through yet another important transition, adolescence.

“I always learn about life skills from what our teachers teach us”, said junior, Lance Scout.

As children become young adults, navigating through middle and high school, teachers answer their questions, listen to their problems and advise them on new phases of their lives. They not only watch students grow, they also help them grow.

Senior, Lakendra Randke believes, “[Teachers] push [her] to achieve something great in life.”

Teachers can demonstrate desired personal characteristics by acting with integrity and empathy, and setting high expectations. Although, teachers must be careful not to offend, and be inclusive when modeling dispositions, this is important for facilitating the development of character.

“They make me aim higher and achieve more in the future,” sophomore, Cindy Campa said. “[teachers] teach [her] the importance of education”.

Much of what students learn from their best teachers are not detailed on a syllabus. As instructors, teachers show students how to become independent and build their own relationships, carefully guiding them and intervening when necessary. Sophomore, Giovanni Lawson explains, “school is as much a place of social cultivation as academic learning.” This is true, not only in the early years of education, but all the way through college. Through a teacher’s influence on the social sphere of school learning, as students mature, those early lessons have an affect on future interactions with others.