The Hive Online

Yearbook Silver Medalists

Yearbook staff members gathered to celebrate their success. “This represents a lot of hard work and dedication from the staff. It is one more stepping stone to get a gold medal, which is what we our looking to achieve,” yearbook adviser Lisa Black said. “We are always striving to achieve excellence in all news publications.”

Yearbook Staff

Yearbook Staff

Jonathan Williams

November 27th not only marked the day Thanksgiving break ended, but it also marked the day Huntsville High School’s Yearbook staff learned about their success. HHS’ yearbook staff and Mance Park Middle School’s yearbook staff both earned a silver medal from Columbia Scholastic Press Association, CSPA.

“This represents a lot of hard work and dedication from the staff. A silver medal places us in the top five percent of publications nationwide, and is a highly regarded rating for a yearbook to receive. It is one more stepping stone to a gold medal, the top one percent of publications, which is what we are trying to achieve,” yearbook adviser Lisa Black said. “We are always striving to achieve excellence in all news publications.”

To earn a silver medal, HHS had to send their 2016-2017 yearbook to Columbia Scholastic Press Association, which evaluates yearbooks nationwide. They are evaluated based on reference material, verbal communication, and visual appeal.

“We hope to continue our progress by looking at how our book was evaluated, and learning from what we got counted off for. Interestingly, it wasn’t our spelling errors that cost us a lot of points, but the fact that our stories were considered general and people were cut off in some photos,” junior yearbooker Ashyln Smith said.

The announcement came as a surprise to many veteran yearbookers.

“I knew I could make the achievement if I worked hard enough. I expect to keep working hard and get more awards,” sophomore Kasandra McCoullough said. “We are too hard on ourselves, we were really upset with the book when it came out, and it turns out it was better than we had thought.”

Alongside Huntsville High School, Mance Park Middle School yearbook staff received a silver medal as well.

“I really love yearbook, and we put a lot of time and effort into this and it really means a  lot to us here at Mance Park to get this high of an award,” eighth grader Jenna Slie said.

With this achievement at their backs the MPMS team will continue to succeed and someday boost the production of the high school’s yearbook.

“To me, the feeling I get for the 2016-2017 MPMS Yearbook receiving the CSPA Silver Medal is a solid happy and content feeling. The staff and I worked really hard on the yearbook and took the CSPA critique from the year before and made serious changes to our yearbook,” Yearbook adviser Shelley Petkovsek said.It feels like a job well done. I’m proud of my students and the yearbook. I also hope that what I do at MPMS helps make HHS excel in their yearbook program as well.”