Students working with Oil pastels

Back to Article
Back to Article

Students working with Oil pastels

Sophomore MaKayla Brown works to complete her oil pastel piece for art one. “This project has taught me how to use Oil pastels properly and not focus so hard on making my Art perfect all the time,” sophomore MaKenzie Brown said.

Photo by Kaitlyn Bowman

Photo by Kaitlyn Bowman

Photo by Kaitlyn Bowman

By Kaitlyn Bowman

Art one is earning, working, and experiencing a new type of tool for art. An oil pastel is an oil based crayon that blends as well as colors.

“I use this art tool to blend colors and I learned you can use it when you do not want precise (perfect) lines,” sophomore MaKaylah Brown said.

Before learning the correct way, students didn’t know how to use oil pastels, or what they were used for.  

“This project has taught me how to use Oil pastels properly and not focus so hard on making my Art perfect all the time,” sophomore MaKenzie Brown said.

Students have been working on their projects since Thursday, January 18th. Each student is taking their time and working hard to ensure that their art is the best it can be.

“I feel that my project Is coming along nice. I have used my time wisely and I feel like I have learned and used this technique In a great way,” sophomore Randi Miller said.

The use of oil pastels in art can create a blended look that brings originality to a piece.

“The Oil pastels are really soft and smooth so they are easy to blend and you can put the colors together and blend them to make a cool effect! I think it makes a great piece of art,” freshman Irenmah Ogidan said.

Art classes can be an important part of a well rounded education. While students learn the value of right brained ideas, keeping the projects interesting and fun helps to keep the students interested in learning the important aspects of art.

“I hope that it will help them have fun with art and not make them think it always boring or they have to be perfect with art,” art teacher Laura Page said.