The Hive Online

The Huntsville Hornets Basketball Team

“We are having a great season. Our Freshman team is number one in district and we lost one game only by one point. We are just working hard and giving it our best,” freshman Fargo Wells said.

Photo by Sara Cox

Photo by Sara Cox

By Fiona Painter and Addie Slie

It’s basketball season again, and the Huntsville High School basketball teams are ready to make their mark this year. They are confident in themselves and their teammates to play harder this season than they ever have.

The basketball coaches believe that the Huntsville Hornets will be able to win this basketball season. Each team’s record is proving much better than the previous season. The boys varsity team has a conference record of 10-1. The girls varsity has a conference record of 8-4.

“I believe the Hornets will make it to playoffs this year and go very deep. I feel this way because the girls have been putting in a lot of hard work and are proving they deserve a spot,” Lady Hornet basketball coach Ronisha Ashcraft said.

Showing good sportsmanship is an important part of being on a basketball team. It provides a good example for other teams and shows that a team believes in themselves regardless of the outcome of a game or two.

“It is of tremendous importance that good sportsmanship is displayed. Lady Hornets should show quality and values that are important to success in academics and in life outside of school events. These girls represent a brand. When they wear the team colors, they are marketing for HHS and the community,” said Lady Hornet basketball coach Elizabeth Brannen.

The members of the team form a tight lasting bond, and help each other every step of the way.

I love the fact that my team encourages me whenever I do well. They are amazing and fun to hang around,” freshman Danika Ratnapradipa said.