The Hive Online

Hornet Golf Team Competes at District Preview

Hornet Varsity Golf members pose for a picture. This past weekend the varisty Hornet golfers played in a district preview where the boys golf team took sixth. “This experience has really opened our eyes, born only to the layout of the course but also to what we could potentially shoot as a team,” senior Will Toronjo said.

Photo Credit: Will Toronjo

Photo Credit: Will Toronjo

By Alanna Haywood

February 2nd and 3rd, the Hornet Golf and Lady Hornet Golf Team competed in the La Torretta Golf Tournament, a District preview.

“For the girl’s golf team, this was our first experience on this new course. Nobody had played La Torretta before, and since district and regionals will be played there it was important we got a feel for it,” said senior girls captain Sevilla-Mchargue. “Of course, regardless of what course it is, we always try to play our best.

As a team the boys placed sixth out of twelve schools, and the girls were exempt from the tournament due to the weather.

“I feel that we did a lot of positive things out on the course, and we have to use those things to get better for our upcoming tournaments,” senior varsity Golf player Lance Scott said. “I feel that this year we have a lot of potential to be a better team than last year by simply practising more.”

The La Torretta Club in Conroe is also the new course where the District competition will be held on April 9th and 11th. The course is being moved due to the fact that the old course, the River Ridge, was shut down.

“It is very important that we play the course before district, because it helps our team learn their personal ball placement and where the should shoot the ball. They get to know where there is water and whether we should play dog-led left or dog-led right,” Sevilla Said. “Also, we got to actually play the teams we will be playing against at district, so it gives a good rating of where we are and we need to be.”

Accuracy in golf comes with practice and steady improvement. The golf team strives to achieve their goals with every swing.

“My improvement is that my swing is better and I make contact with the ball every time and I am more accurate than I was last year with the help of our coaches,” said junior Taylor Bird.

By the time district rolls around, players will be ready. Playing the new course gave all the players a chance to recognize their strengths and weaknesses in that environment in order to strategically prepare.

“This experience has really opened our eyes, born only to the layout of the course, but also to what we could potentially shoot as a team. By the time April rolls around we will be playing up to our full potential,” senior varsity member Will Toronjo said.