The Hive Online

Theatre program begins first production of the school year

+Leads+of+the+show+freshman+Gracie+Cutler+and+sophomore+Tega+Okperuvwe+practicing+on+stage+after+school.+%E2%80%9CI+was+looking+for+a+musical+that+would+be+exciting+and+fun+for+my+students%2C+and+I+wanted+it+to+be+small+enough%2C+only+a+few+boys%2C+but+large+enough+to+cast+all+the+girls+that+I+would+have.++I+researched+dozens+of+musicals%2C+and+when+I+came+across+%22Like+You+Like+It%22+and+listened+to+the+first+song%2C+I+knew+that+it+would+be+perfect+for+us%2C%E2%80%9D+director+Velvia+Keithley+said.
 Leads of the show freshman Gracie Cutler and sophomore Tega Okperuvwe practicing on stage after school. “I was looking for a musical that would be exciting and fun for my students, and I wanted it to be small enough, only a few boys, but large enough to cast all the girls that I would have.  I researched dozens of musicals, and when I came across

Leads of the show freshman Gracie Cutler and sophomore Tega Okperuvwe practicing on stage after school. “I was looking for a musical that would be exciting and fun for my students, and I wanted it to be small enough, only a few boys, but large enough to cast all the girls that I would have. I researched dozens of musicals, and when I came across "Like You Like It" and listened to the first song, I knew that it would be perfect for us,” director Velvia Keithley said.

Camily Toscano

Camily Toscano

By Alanna Haywood

Oct. 11th through 13th the theatre program will perform the first production of the school year in the auditorium. A 1980’s based  musical called “Like You Like It”, the play is a parody of Shakespeare’s “As You Like It”.

“I was looking for a musical that would be exciting and fun for my students, and I wanted it to be small enough, only a few boys, but large enough to cast all the girls that I would have.  I researched dozens of musicals, and when I came across “Like You Like It” and listened to the first song, I knew that it would be perfect for us,” director Velvia Keithley said. “My expectations are high. The students have been working very hard on the music and the choreography, and I am extremely proud of what we have accomplished so far. Melissa Miller and her tech teams have been working hard on the set, and I am excited to share this with audiences. We have a long way to go, but I think the end result will be something special,” Keithley explained.

Students are required to take singing lessons after school with the choir teacher to prepare for show to learn some of the basics.

“Preparing for a musical is a lot different from preparing for a regular play. In a musical we have singing lessons with our choir teacher, James Dorr. In a musical there are times where the entire cast is on stage, which rarely happens in regular plays, so we have to be careful and really pay attention,” senior Alexius Sullivan said. “Overall it has been really fun and I can’t wait to perform it.”

Students have taken it upon themselves outside of rehearsals to practice with other cast members and hone their roles before the performance.

“I think the process is running smoothly at the moment. I do have to practice quite a bit on my own due to the fact that I’m in band. I also ran lines and songs with Jose Estrada outside of practice,” sophomore Madison Kyle said.

A musical production requires different preparations than a traditional theatrical performance, but it gives the students a new theatre experience and they get to step out of their comfort zone.

“I really enjoy this play. It is my first time acting and I enjoy the people. I have had to step out of my comfort zone with singing and having a solo because I usually keep to myself and I usually don’t sing at all,” freshman Jose Estrada said.