Business Professionals of America visit the Lion’s Den

Back to Article
Back to Article

Tim Vodegel, writer

Business Professionals of America, BPA, visited A&M Commerce on Oct. 19th. Their visit was to not only tour the campus, but for the club to continue supporting former student Martin Oteng.
“The main reason we went on this trip was that Martin is a former BPA student and he chose to go to Texas A&M Commerce. For him to be a freshman and hired on by their athletic department, I just thought was awesome and that’s why we went up there to let him know that we all are proud of his success,” BPA adviser Denise Carpenter said. “I like the students to know that we support them even after graduation and I wanted to show them a different University that might be an option for them and their studies going on.”
Students were able to get an idea of what the college life is like. As they toured the campus they were able to understand how a university flows and works.
“I might go to A&M Commerce, because it looks like a pretty good school from what I saw. I learned a lot about life, because it’s not always easy to go to college and starting up a new part of your life,” junior Rolando Santos said. “The best part of the trip was being around my friends and getting to know new places.”
As most HHS students are familiar to Sam Houston University, this was an opportunity to compare other universities from what they may know.
“It was a good experience to visit a whole other university, because here in Huntsville we only have one, so we always do something related to Sam Houston. The best part was to get Texas shaped waffles at the cafeteria,” senior Joy Mejia said.
As Oteng showed students around the campus, they were given the idea of what it takes to attend a college such as A&M Commerce.
“It was really fun. That college is not as easy as it seems to be, and you must work hard to get there. Martin taught us a lot about college how it goes and how much time you get to spend on the campus.,” senior Josshelinee Hernandez said.
Foreign exchange student Denis Kozlovskyy also had the opportunity to see a different university than those in their native country.
“It was really interesting to compare university from my native country and here,” junior Denis Kozlovskyy said.