Hornets Take Home Two Wins In District

Tim Vodegel, writer

On Tues., Jan. 15th, the Junior Varsity A, JVA, boys soccer team won their first district game, 3:0 against Tomball High school.

“I was really proud of the guys, because we got a really fast start. It was our opening district game, so we wanted to make a statement to the other team in the district. My guys came out with energy and intensity. We got three goals very early and we did not give up any goals and got a clean sheet,” coach Jonathan Gallen said.

After the good performance at Tomball everyone was not surprised about the 3:0 win on Fri., Jan. 18th against New Caney high school.

“Last night’s game was pretty fun. The team played great, by applying pressure all over the field. The defense locked Tomball’s forwards down allowing attackers like me to have the freedom to press and create scoring chances,” freshman Max Mundorff said. “This team is willing to sacrifice and back up for one another. Every player wants to put on a good show for the fans and bring home another district title for Huntsville High,” Mundorff continued.

The last couple of games showed that the team has the potential and the will to work for their season goal to win District ones again.

“The main priority after we got a lead is to keep the lead and keep the other team off the scoreboard and we accomplished both things that night,” Gallen said. “This year’s team is the youngest team I have had in my three years of coaching. We have several freshmen, and some of them are starting every game.”

The last preparation for district went very well for the JVA boys. During pre-season the team got better at playing together by building a good foundation of chemistry between each other. In the last four games of the pre-season, the team was able to score 10 goals and keep two clean sheets.

“We got less aggressive at the end, but it did not really matter, because we were winning the game. This team is special, because we are a pretty young team and we all know each other for a long time. People should come to the game to cheer us on and to give us motivation. We want to play in front of our fans and supporters,” junior Oswaldo Alezano said.