Students place at U.I.L. tournament

Back to Article
Back to Article

Students place at U.I.L. tournament

Jonathan Williams, Editor-in-Chief

On Saturday, Feb. 23rd students attended the third University Interscholastic League, U.I.L., invitational meet at A&M Consolidated high school. Students placed in several competitions and gained valuable feedback to prepare for the District meet on March 30th at Willis High School.

“This last practice meet really shows where your strengths and weaknesses are in your competitions. It’s a final opportunity to practice and figure out what you need to change. I advanced to the second of three rounds for Prose, though that’s as far as I went. I’m going to continue to read my selection to practice for district,” junior Marshall Hanson.

The last meet for district has always been known as the most difficult of the practice meet. Students use the opportunity to judge themselves against the competition.

“This is my first year doing U.I.L., so I’m still learning how everything works. I did headline writing and copy editing. I didn’t place for either of them, but I got some great feedback from the judges and I know what I can work on. I’m glad we have an entire month before district,” sophomore Alonzo Medina.

Students who have competed in U.I.L. in the past or have only competed this year found the meet to challenge their skills.

“I placed in mathematics. I feel prepared for district, and hope to place in the top 5, which will require some practicing. Compared to other performances, the competition seemed tougher, but as a school we still competed well,” junior Thomas Williams said.

Students that place in the top three of their competition get an opportunity to compete at a state level.

“I competed in Copy Editing and Literary Criticism. I haven’t placed yet this year, but I’m still working to get better. I’ll be meeting up with other people who competed with me to practice. I think it would be really awesome to place in district,” sophomore Sara Schweitzer said.