National Honor Society raises record number of funds

Back to Article
Back to Article

Jonathan Williams, Editor-in-Chief

On March 2nd National Honor Society, NHS, hosted the 6th annual fundraiser volleyball tournament. Teams were made up of students, parents and anyone in town that wanted to participate.

“I participated in the tournament because I needed the service hours and wanted to have fun with my friends as well as support charity. I thought it was an extremely well organized event with very competent and competitive players,” junior Avery Woodlief said.

The goal of the tournament was to raise as much money as possible for Hospitality House, which is an organization devoted to meeting the needs of families of incarcerated individuals. With the help of over 50 local businesses, NHS was able to raise over $4,000.

“Our team played to have fun and represent the volleyball team. It was a lot of fun playing against different kinds of people than were used to. We were all really happy with how much money was raised,” junior Hannia Monzano said.

There were three brackets in this year’s tournament: adults, clubs, and friends. Each bracket offered a $125 cash prize to the winning five-member team. Teams from local churches as well as businesses played in the tournament, and they provided some formidable competition.

“When our son told us about the tournament we said ‘We’ll give it a try’, which became our team name. It was an interesting experience to play volleyball with other parents, and we all had fun,” parent Michael Hanson said.

The tournament was not only a way for NHS to raise money, but a way to bring the community together.

“This tournament and the upcoming May 4th Senior Citizen Dance are my two favorite NHS service activities of the year because it partners HHS with the citizens of Huntsville and allows us to have fun together, whatever our ages,” NHS sponsor Angela Gaston said.