Tennis team finishes school year strong

Back to Article
Back to Article

Tennis team finishes school year strong

Denis Kozlovskyy, writer

On April 3rd – 5th students from both varsity and jv tennis teams participated in the district tennis tournament at Magnolia High School.

“I advanced in the first-round score was 8 – 5, then I lost in the second round 4 – 8. I feel very proud of my performance on the first round, but I do feel that I could’ve done better in the second round. During the second round at some point our scores were close and then I fell behind and lost. The most memorable moment of the competition was when I won my first round and told my coach, he was very proud of me. During the season tennis players had to compete with a lot of strong teams, that made their way hard, but they were able to improve themselves much and grow up as one team to be ready to the next season,” sophomore Eva Tijerina said.

Varsity boys’ doubles team finished 3rd in the district competition along with the jv team which also took 3rd place.

“The season just ended, and I feel like it was very successful. This was my first year playing singles competitively and I feel good about how I have done. I placed 2nd in my first tournament and I look forward to next year. I have definitely improved this year, and I plan on improving through the summer for next year,” Tijerina said.

The top two winning teams at district advanced to regional competition. With the end of the tennis season, the team members reflect on the season, and what is yet to come.

“During the spring semester we had a lot of competitions, that we participated in. The results were decent but could have been better. Most of my teammates made it to their second round and that is good. Some of our students were close to the region competition during their second day of tournament in Montgomery. Although the season is already over, we had a great season during which almost every team coming home with at least one medal,” sophomore Kendall Hoke said.

Seniors were proud of the accomplishments that were made this year and happy with their improvement during their last year at the high school.

“Recently I participated in a tournament at Montgomery Lake Creek, I played mixed doubles, and we did well as a team, however we didn’t place. The season recently ended for us, but overall, I’m super proud of my team for the year we’ve had. We grew together and had so much fun! During the season I improved myself, we played so tough competition, but I’m proud of my accomplishments. As a senior it was bittersweet that it’s over, but our last celebration together as a team, is our banquet on the 25th!” senior Leslie Bryant said.