Junior Varsity Track finishes season strong

Back to Article
Back to Article

Tim Vodegel, writer

The JV Lady Hornets finished out their season on Wed., March 29th at Caney Creek. Camby Austin won the shot put, and Aliyah Craft came in 2nd in the high jump. McKenzie Brown and Shay Blanks finished 4th and 6th in the 200-meter, and the 4×200 relay came in 3rd place. In the boys JV division, Nate Hambright won the 100-meter race. Trevion Garrett won first place at district, Nehamiah Winfrey finished third in the triple jump and Max Mundorf finished third in the 800-meter race.

“The district performance this season was great, everybody pushed themselves to reach their limit to help the unit. The last meet was my first district track meet ever that I ran for Huntsville High school. The performance that I am the proudest of was when I ran the 800-meter with one heat, that means a race with 20 people, and I placed 7th even though it was my first competition,” freshman Vincent Vasquez said.

The 4 X 100 team of Ralph Olivas, Jaden Santibanez, Calvin Simmons, and Jaylon McClain finished first. The 4 X 100 team of Nate Hambright, Cameron Myers, Amari Poindexter, and Ashton Razo also finished first. The 4 X 200 team of Amari Poindexter, Justin Butcher, Cameron Myers, and Ashton Razo finished first.     

“My district performance was good, but there is always room for improvement and a reason to work harder in practices. My best performance was the in the 4 X 400 team race at the last district meet,” freshman Jaden Santabanez said.

In the Freshman division, Jaden Santibanez finished third in the 400-meter distance.

The 4 X 400 team of Jaden Santibanez, Max Mundorf, Cruz Zavala and Ralph Olivas finished first and ended their track season on a good note.

“My district performance was good. My team and I placed in the track meet for the 4 X 400. I was very proud of this particular performance, because I was planned for another distance category so I was not really prepared for the 4 X 400, but I still gave my best to help the team and at the end the hard work paid off,” freshman Lilu Garza said.

“The JV group did a great job at the district meets. A lot of people ran a new personal best time and we also got some people and teams that won first place. I am always proud of them when they work hard and compete,” track coach Kathy Lehman said.