Cross country places 3rd in first home meet

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Huntsville cross country team pictured in their first home meet on Aug. 29 at Kate Barr Ross Park. “At the meet, we raced, watched each other compete, cheered one another on, and supported our teammates to show our care and encouragement to strive for the best,” senior Benjamin Marshall said.

Blanca Gutierrez

Blanca Gutierrez

Blanca Gutierrez

Kaitlyn Bowman, Writer

On Aug. 29th, at Kate Barr Ross Park, cross country students competed against various schools and placed 3rd at the home meet.

“At the meet, I began slow. I was slipping on the soft sand below us, but I kept on running and striving. Once we made it to the hard surface I began running faster and kept my eyes on the finish line. I soon made it and passed the finish line placing 3rd place,” sophomore Jenin Borbor said.

Students competed against 15 different nearby schools. There were about 110 racers competing in the races, and there were also different races being held for competitors at the meet.

“I thought I did okay, I could’ve done better, but Huntsville did pretty well overall. We all placed, so that was positive, we are all working to improve for our next meet,” sophomore Maxwell Mundorff said.

Cross country members are working to better their performance. With faster pace and speed to show their improvement and skills at the next meet, the students are also working to decrease their time on the track.

“I did alright, I got 40th out of 110 racers. We placed third out of fifteen schools. To prepare for the meet, we did our usual workouts in the morning and then sprints in the afternoon,” sophomore Russell Hanson said.

The members of cross country equally challenged one another to achieve their goals and compete in the 2.4-mile race.

“At the meet, we raced, watched each other compete, cheered one another on, and supported our teammates to show our care and encouragement to strive for the best,” senior Benjamin Marshall said.

Students attempt to take a minute off their time each week, they try before the meet and at the meet to ameliorate extra time that could affect their scores.

“My students performed very well, I always look forward and always want to see improvement on my students time every week,” cross country coach Kathy Lehman said.