Choir moves to Region competition

Back to Article
Back to Article

Choir moves to Region competition

Varsity choir students,Chorale, sophomore Gracie Cutler, and seniors Hanna Brisher and Diana Villa practice their pieces. “I prepared by making sure I practiced everyday. I also had the help of some amazing teachers and I know I wouldn't have gotten this far without them. I went to two all-state choir camps during the summer and tried my best to learn all of the music by the end of the summer. Going to those camps really helped me and the instructors there were fantastic,” senior Diana Villa said.

Samantha Ray

Samantha Ray

Samantha Ray

Hayley Ulery, Writer

On Sat. Sept. 14th, three choir students, Diana Villa, Gracie Cutler, and Hanna Brisher competed in the district round of the All-State choir audition at Oak Ridge High School.

“My thoughts on going into the competition were to try to become a better musician than I was last year. I like participating because I get to learn a lot of beautiful music and because it helps me to become a better singer,” senior Diana Villa said.

District was the first of four separate auditions that will be taking place over the next four months.

“We had about six or seven hours of auditioning in 20 or so rooms which took about two minutes,” senior Hanna Brisher explained.

Students learned four pieces of classical choral music and perform it individually in front of a five-person judging panel.

“I prepared by making sure I practiced every day. I also had the help of some amazing teachers and I know I wouldn’t have gotten this far without them. I went to two All-State choir camps during the summer and tried my best to learn all the music by the end of the summer. Going to those camps really helped me and the instructors there were fantastic,” Villa added.

Once auditions were complete, the five judges as well as helping directors, spent an hour to two hours deliberating before decisions were made for final chairs.

“Auditioning is a nervous process,” Brisher continued. “We’re not allowed to have any phones or instruments and we’re not allowed to sing the audition material until we’re in the audition room.”

Diana Villa advanced to 2nd chair, Hanna Brisher advanced to 16th chair, and Gracie Cutler advanced to 18th chair.

“Hanna, Gracie and Diana will now learn a completely new set of music in the next month and audition in the next round, Region, to advance in late October,” choir director John Krystyniak said.