Students inducted into National Honor Society

+NHS+inductees+celebrate+on+Sept.+10.+%E2%80%9CI+was+very+excited+about+getting+inducted%2C+and+it+was+a+fun+experience+to+see+everyone+there+and+to+shake+hands+with+the+NHS+leadership.+The+night+was+very+professional+and+orderly%2C+and+I+was+very+impressed+with+the+procession%2C%E2%80%9D+junior+Jake+Holland+said%0A
Back to Article
Back to Article

NHS inductees celebrate on Sept. 10. “I was very excited about getting inducted, and it was a fun experience to see everyone there and to shake hands with the NHS leadership. The night was very professional and orderly, and I was very impressed with the procession,” junior Jake Holland said

Jonathan Williams

Jonathan Williams

Jonathan Williams

Alanna Haywood, Writer

On Sept. 10, 40 juniors and seniors were inducted into National Honor Society, NHS, based on the students’ academic accomplishments. To be inducted into NHS, certain requirements such as GPA, community service, and good character must have been met. 

“I feel very proud to be inducted into NHS, I am also very honored to be inducted as well. The induction was in a way what I expected but on the other hand I was also very surprised. For example, I had no idea that the Mayor would be there and that made me feel even better about getting inducted,” senior Mauricio Prieto said.

Students in the society can qualify for benefits from certain scholarships as well as getting hours for community service.

“I enjoyed being inducted into the society alongside other peers who I hold in high esteem and exemplify the society’s pillars in their everyday life: character, scholarship, leadership, and service. It was an accomplishment for all of us to see our hard work come to fruition. NHS was definitely a goal I’ve wanted to achieve since Freshman year, so being able to now be a part of it is incredible to me,” junior Marvin Ochoa said.

As student’s names were called, they lit candles and were also pinned by returning members of the society, which is a tradition of the NHS ceremony. 

“I was very excited about getting inducted, and it was a fun experience to see everyone there and to shake hands with the NHS leadership. The night was very professional and orderly, and I was very impressed with the procession,” junior Jake Holland said

Leadership members of the society recited the society’s pillars: character, scholarship, leadership, and service, while lighting a candle representing each.

“The night itself in my opinion was very pretty. The ceremony made me feel that what I was doing was important and also the passing of the fire between candles made it seem to me like the people were passing down the torch of the NHS to the new inductees, Most importantly hearing from the Principle, the Super Independent, the Mayor, and even Mrs. Gaston, made me feel proud once again and feel good about what I was doing,” Prieto continued.