Hornet Buddies club makes a difference

+President+Kassandra+McCullough+shows+the+2019-2020+Hornet+Buddies+t-shirt.+%E2%80%9CGenerally%2C+we+come+down+to+the+kids%E2%80%99+class+and+help+them+with+their+work+or+have+conversations+with+them+and+play+games.+We+also+throw+them+birthday+parties+when+their+birthday+comes+around%2C%E2%80%9D+Hornet+Buddies+president+Kasandra+McCullough+said.%0A
Back to Article
Back to Article

Hornet Buddies club makes a difference

President Kassandra McCullough shows the 2019-2020 Hornet Buddies t-shirt. “Generally, we come down to the kids’ class and help them with their work or have conversations with them and play games. We also throw them birthday parties when their birthday comes around,” Hornet Buddies president Kasandra McCullough said.

Alanna Haywood

Alanna Haywood

Alanna Haywood

Alanna Haywood, Writer

Hornet Buddies is a club at the high school where students can volunteer to help out in the Special Education department. The organization was founded by 2018 alumni Madison Hartman.

“I want to be a special education teacher, so working in that environment builds my skill in that profession. I found out through Madison Hartman, the one who created it, and I thought it was an amazing idea,” junior Kylie Allums said. “I feel completely joyful when I’m helping. I would like everyone to come and see the positive environment it is.”

The students involved in the club have the opportunity to not only learn and gain experience, but to have fun with the students in the Special Education department 

“Generally, we come down to the kids’ class and help them with their work or have conversations with them and play games. We also throw them birthday parties when their birthday comes around,” Hornet Buddies president Kasandra McCullough said.

Hornet Buddies has a goal to meet at least once a month. The club functions throughout the day, so members can come in to help and leave when they have an opportunity.

“I found out about Hornet Buddies my sophomore year from a person that told me it would be cool for me to check out,” senior Emily Rowley said. “My favorite part would be the kid’s reactions when I go to see them.” 

Throughout the school year there are different events that both the Special Education department and Hornet Buddies members can enjoy.

“I enjoy working with the kids and learning about their day to day routines. I also enjoy attending the Special Olympics, winter festival, and prom with them,” junior Daisy Thornton said.