Creating Art with Biology

Back to Article
Back to Article

Creating Art with Biology

Art students learn about biology by using microscopes and painting what they see. “We learned about a totally new form of art that we had no experience with. We also learned how to utilize different kinds of microscopes,” teacher Omar Polio said.

Ashley Bynum

Ashley Bynum

Ashley Bynum

Samantha Ray, Writer

On Sat., Sept. 21st, art teacher Ashley Bynum and biology teacher Omar Polio teamed up with Sam Houston State University Art Museum and freshmen Johanna Cepeda, Kaius Noble, and Melissa Garrido. The group traveled to the art museum to view presentations and create  paintings.

“The most interesting thing I saw was the microscopy presentation because it was well explained, and it was amazing to see what we normally can’t see with the naked eye. Also, it seems like something I consider doing in the future,” freshman Johanna Cepeda said.

The students looked at presentations and biology slides, then created paintings inspired by them. 

“We went to the art museum to work on a project that was incorporating biology with the art world. We were looking at microscopic images of organisms here in Texas, so just insects and some plant species. With those specimens, we then created artwork based off those. It was a really good experience because we were able to incorporate two different methods; science and art at one single time,” teacher Omar Polio said. 

The art museum normally welcomes guests to view their exhibits on weekdays, but the weekend provided a special opportunity for the students.

“I went to the SHSU Art and Biology Museum because I was invited by my art teacher to try screen printing, which I really enjoyed doing,” freshman Johanna Cepeda said. 

The group learned about a Chinese art technique called silk screen printing. Silk screen paintings are made by layering ink through mesh on top of a frame with a design. This method is used to make multiple pictures.

“I felt like it was a really good opportunity to gain some new knowledge because I had no knowledge of silk screen paintings before. I have always been excited by biology, so putting the two together was a wonderful experience,” teacher Ashley Bynum said.