Forensic science students investigate mock crime scene

Back to Article
Back to Article

Forensic science teacher Veronica Whitworth teaches juniors Maria Zarate, Jasmine Washington and Anay Ponce how to properly assess a crime scene. “Forensic science is something that has always interested me so getting the opportunity to analyze the situation our teacher set up and trying to pick up the pieces has been really interesting,” senior Leslie Ciseneros.

Eván Tijerina

Eván Tijerina

Eván Tijerina

Alanna Haywood, Writer

The forensic science classes had the opportunity to examine a mock dead body as a part of their week-long event in class, from Sep. 19th through Sep. 27th.

“It’s a mock crime scene and the students are making crime scene sketches. They must map out the location of the evidence and then that would help them do the overall crime scene sketch. I tried to figure out something that wouldn’t require a lot and would be easy for the students to sketch,” forensic science teacher Veronica Whitworth said.

Students approached investigating the crime scene as real homicide detectives would.

“Since we are in this class, we have to deduce the situation to find out how our guy died. It’s pretty cool seeing things like this on TV all the time and then actually getting to do it yourself,” senior Demarius Minor said.

Along with investigating the scene, students also had to precisely re-trace the steps of the body in order to find out what happened.

“We have to examine the body and practice crime scene sketching. We have to take measurements of objects from a fixed point and the crime scene itself to scale,” junior Kanion McHale said.

Students found the experience to be exciting and interesting. 

“Forensic science is something that has always interested me so getting the opportunity to analyze the situation our teacher set up and trying to pick up the pieces has been really interesting,” senior Leslie Ciseneros said.