Swim Team places at invitational meet

Back to Article
Back to Article

Swim Team places at invitational meet

Crusita Nieto swimming the 200 yard Freestyle, “We have been practicing hard every day at the pool. We will lose 6 seniors after this season, so they know how important this year is,” coach Amanda Cason said.

Hayley Ulery

Hayley Ulery

Hayley Ulery

Hayley Ulery, Writer

The high school swim team competed at their first Invitational meet against 14 girls teams and 13 boys teams at the Tomball Aquatic Center Sat. Sept. 28th.

“We were extremely excited for our first meet. We have been practicing hard every day at the pool. We will lose six seniors after this season, so they know how important this year is,” coach Amanda Cason said.

There are different types of races the individual swims and the team relays, where four of the fastest students take turns swimming for a single time.

“We did good for the first meet. We placed 3rd in our heat,” junior Taylor Newman said.

For the first meet of the season, competing against over a dozen other teams the the girls place 9th and the boys place 14th overall.

“It’s pretty normal for me since I’ve been swimming for so long, but I still get nervous,” junior Katherine Henke said.

The meet is run based on events: butterfly, backstroke, breaststroke, or freestyle, and heats which contain at most eight swimmers each, one for each lane of the pool.

“It can be difficult swimming so many events when you have to prepare for different events with different strokes, but that’s the fun of swimming. Competing in different events and becoming a better all around swimmer,” senior Gabe Hambright said.

This year the team has a new assistant coach, Kyle Meyers, who has been shadowing Cason for the past week.

“I’ve only been here a few days and I’m learning the ropes from Coach Cason right now, but I’m excited to see everyone compete and get to know some of our swimmers,”

For the swimmers, the sport isn’t just another competition, it’s a way to meet others that share a love for the same sport.

“Swimming is a community, completion is part of it, but it’s really the people who make the sport,” senior Cade Mahlen said.