Student named semifinalist in National Merit Scholarship Program

+On+Sep.+11th+senior+Thomas+Williams+is+named+semifinalist+in+the+National+Merit+Scholarship+program.+%E2%80%9CIt%27s+not+often+that+you+see+Huntsville+on+a+list+of+schools+for+such+a+prestigious+opportunity%2C+so+I%27m+really+happy+to+be+representing+our+school%2C%E2%80%9D+Williams+said.%0A
Back to Article
Back to Article

On Sep. 11th senior Thomas Williams is named semifinalist in the National Merit Scholarship program. “It's not often that you see Huntsville on a list of schools for such a prestigious opportunity, so I'm really happy to be representing our school,” Williams said.

Jonathan Williams

Jonathan Williams

Jonathan Williams

Jonathan Williams, Editor

On Sep. 11th, student Thomas Williams was named a Semifinalist in the 2020 National Merit Scholarship Program. To be a semifinalist, Thomas had to score in the top 1% on the Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test, PSAT. 

“In my sophomore year, I had scored high enough on the PSAT to have a good chance of advancing. I was encouraged by counselors and family to try my best to become a National Merit Scholar, not just for my benefit but for the pride of Huntsville schools. With that goal in mind, I managed to improve my scores, earn a spot among the best of the US and put Huntsville on the list of schools with semifinalists,” senior Thomas Williams said.

Williams scored a 1470 on his junior PSAT, and 1390 in his sophomore year. His top SAT score is a 1500. With scores like this Williams feels confident going against the competition. 

“Qualifying as a National Merit Semifinalist means I will have the ability to compete against the top 1% of the country in earning a National Merit Scholarship. If I earn one, I will be a National Merit Scholar, but only half of the Semifinalists will earn that title,” Williams said.

Out of over 1.5 Million students take the PSAT, but only 16,000 are named semifinalist. If Thomas receives a scholarship, he will be putting it towards going to the University of Texas. 

“It’s not often that you see Huntsville on a list of schools for such a prestigious opportunity, so I’m really happy to be representing our school,” Williams added.

The school’s staff, students and Thomas’ family are supporting him, waiting eagerly for the results to be announced in January. 

“According to other staff members, it has been over ten years since HHS has had a semifinalist. We are very proud to have Thomas represent us,” principal William Roberts said.