Huntsville Marching Band attends Pre-UIL contest

Back to Article
Back to Article

On Oct. 5th Huntsville Military Marching band attended the Pre-UIL competition at Galena Park Stadium.

On Oct. 5th Huntsville Military Marching band attended the Pre-UIL competition at Galena Park Stadium. "Pre UIL definitely gave the band confidence in our playing and our marching. While this was one of our best runs of our drill there is always room to strive to be better," senior Addison Aden said.

Heike Ness

Heike Ness

Heike Ness

Hayley Ulery, Writer

On Sat. Oct 5th, the Marching Band, HMB, competed in the 17th annual Pre-UIL competition at Galena Park. The band was able to gain constructive criticism on their marching in order to progress for the UIL contest on Oct. 22nd. 

“We are going to get a chance to perform in a contest environment before our UIL Region 9 Contest later this month,” head director John Green said.

The band was ranked within the 5A band classification and was given comments from five judges, three marching and two music, to help guide what improvements they will need to make throughout contest season.

“Pre UIL definitely gave the band confidence in our playing and our marching. While this was one of our best runs of our drill there is always room to strive to be better,” senior Addison Aden said.

The band marched at 2:30 in the afternoon, ranking 7th out of 15 in their marching and 5th in their music.

“We did very well in my opinion. Not only did we march and play well, but we got an amazing reaction from the crowd too. I think this was a real moral boost for most of the band, and a great experience for the Freshman. I feel that this was a step towards succeeding in further competitions later this year,” band member sophomore Jackson Schoonover said.

For students new to HMB this year coming from other bands that march in a different style it was a new experience for them.

“Coming from a Core band where we don’t do to-the-rears or counter marches, it was fun marching military,” junior Camron Fagan

For freshman it’s the first time they will be competing in a marching competition.

“It’s kind of scary that this is happening. Though, we’ve been practicing a lot and I believe many of us freshman have developed enough confidence to march to their very best ability. Or, in my case, at least try to,” freshman Steve Mejia said.