Marshall Hanson commended in National Merit Scholarship Program

+Seniors+Marshall+Hanson+%28right%29+and+Robert++Rush+%28left%29+run+with+the+flag+team+during+a+football+game.+%E2%80%9CI+made+a+1440+on+my+PSAT%2C+which+truly+surprised+me%2C+but+I+kind+of+had+a+competition+going+with+my+friends%2C+so+it+felt+nice+to+win+that.+I+had+heard+from+people+that+the+PSAT+is+harder+than+SAT.+I+don%E2%80%99t+necessarily+think+that+was+true%2C+though+I+remember+struggling+on+some+geometry+problems+on+that+PSAT%2C%E2%80%9D+senior+Marshall+Hanson+said.

Erica Adams

Seniors Marshall Hanson (right) and Robert Rush (left) run with the flag team during a football game. “I made a 1440 on my PSAT, which truly surprised me, but I kind of had a competition going with my friends, so it felt nice to win that. I had heard from people that the PSAT is harder than SAT. I don’t necessarily think that was true, though I remember struggling on some geometry problems on that PSAT,” senior Marshall Hanson said.

Alanna Haywood, Writer

On Oct. 1st, senior Marshall Hanson was recognized as one of the 34,000 commended students in the country by the National Merit Scholarship program. 

“I made a 1440 on my PSAT, which truly surprised me, but I kind of had a competition going with my friends, so it felt nice to win that. I had heard from people that the PSAT is harder than SAT. I don’t necessarily think that was true, though I remember struggling on some geometry problems on that PSAT,” senior Marshall Hanson said.

Of the 1.5 million students who were entered into the 2020 National Merit Scholarship program competition, 50,000 placed among the top scorers, but only 34,000 commended students are being recognized. Students were entered by taking the 2018 Preliminary SAT, which was the qualifying test.

“It felt nice to be honored. I imagined that I would be recognized because a counselor called me in to tell me about my chances about being recognized and the program itself,”Hanson added.

Students received a Letter of Commendation due to their exceptional academic promise. These students do not qualify for the National Merit Scholarship program however.

“It wasn’t necessarily a goal, it just kind of happened. When I got my PSAT score back I was notified that I could be in the running for the scholarship,” Hanson said.