Theatre students perform at Fair on the Square

Sophomores Gracie Cutler and Kathleen Williams sing I Know It’s Today as two different generations of Fiona. “I really liked just being able to perform there, I always like being with the community, it’s a nice environment. It was just super fun to be there,” sophomore Gracie Cutler said.

Lanny Ray

Samantha Ray, Writer

On Sat. Oct. 5th, the high school’s theatre group performed three musical numbers from Shrek: The Musical at Fair on the Square. This promoted the musical, as the show dates are Oct. 24th, 25th, and 27th.

“I feel that any publicity or visibility is really good for our program. I think there were probably people there who didn’t know that we exist, or if they knew, they may not have known there was a program. So, I think that there were probably a few people who were there who were going to come because we were there at Fair on the Square,” director Velvia Keithley said.

The songs performed were What’s Up, Duloc? Morning Person, and I Know It’s Today. Two songs were from the first act and the other was the opening number for the second act.

“When I performed, I Know It’s Today, I think I did well. It was a bit difficult to project in such an open area, but I believe we overcame it well. It was a really fun experience to get to perform in our community,” sophomore Kathleen Williams said. 

The group performed a minute of the first two songs to hopefully entice the audience to watch the full musical at the high school.

“I think I performed pretty well; I feel like I perform better when I’m in front of people. Being able to perform for all those people made me feel like I did a really good job,” sophomore Gracie Cutler said. 

During the performance, students who weren’t singing passed out flyers and advertised. Even after the group was finished, many students stayed at the fair and continued passing out flyers. 

“After the show, I walked around Fair on the Square with my friends and we handed out flyers and met some people. Many people were interested and said they would see if they could come,” freshman Kori Brown said.

Shrek: The Musical is being performed in the high school auditorium on Oct. 24th and 25th at 7:30, and a matinee showing on Oct. 27th at 2:00. Most students involved in the musical are selling tickets at a discount for $10.

“I think it’s going to be a good show, we’re all working very hard to make it as good as possible and the best show it can be,” junior Elijah Marra said.