Floral Design class makes mums for Homecoming

Back to Article
Back to Article

Junior Jodi Hoke holding mums created during floral design class. “This is my 4th year making mums for the school but the tradition of creating them for other students here goes back almost ten years,” agriculture teacher Amanda Ermis said. “I offer everyone to come buy one, or you could even make your own at home.”

Jaliyah Haywood

Jaliyah Haywood

Jaliyah Haywood

Jaliyah Haywood, Writer

Every year the floral design class, taught by Amanda Ermis, participates in making

mums for the homecoming game this Friday at Bowers Stadium. Traditionally, high schools and colleges all around Texas wear decorated mums during Homecoming.  

“This is my 4th year making mums for the school but the tradition of creating them for other students here goes back almost ten years,” agriculture teacher Amanda Ermis said. “I offer everyone to come buy one, or you could even make your own at home.”

Mums are hand-made and created from an artificial flowers. People wear them every year and can be customized with any size, color or design.

“This is my first year making mums,” sophomore Jenna Goodson said. “Floral design is one of my favorite classes. I really hope I’ll be able to keep making mums and better my technique for the next year.” 

Students could order mums ahead of time from the class to wear at homecoming.

“I really like floral design because I’ve been able to learn how to make mums and customize them with my class. I took this class because of an art credit, but soon started to enjoy it,” junior Jackson Burdett said.

Creating a mum requires the ability to match colors, glue, cut and create a floral design.

“Being in Mrs. Ermis’ agricultural class has been great so far this year I’m really glad that I decided to take this class because making mums around homecoming season is fun and I’m happy that there is a class for it,” sophomore Alyssa Thornton said.

Students wear their mums at school the day of homecoming and during the homecoming game to show off their school spirit and self-interests.

“I really love being able to be in Mrs. Ermis’s class. Although this is my first year in floral design, I really enjoy making them along with playing with all the different designs she teaches us to make with the ribbons,” sophomore Camryn Langley said.