Career and Technology Education students visit Huntsville Intermediate School

Back to Article
Back to Article

Junior Tyler Luchak explains the different types of hammers the construction classes use. “Since our endorsements are so much bigger this year and the CTE programs are growing, we started finding student ambassadors that are good role models and work hard in their certain field to represent the programs,” counselor Dawn Shaw said.

Alanna Haywood

Alanna Haywood

Alanna Haywood

Rebecca Cade, Editor

On Wed. October 16th the Career and Technical Education department, CTE, took student representatives to the Huntsville Intermediate School to talk about the high school’s programs in the CTE field.
“Since our endorsements are so much bigger this year and the CTE programs are growing, we started finding student ambassadors that are good role models and work hard in their certain field to represent the programs,” counselor Dawn Shaw said.
The students that were picked to represent the classes are in advanced courses. These classes include construction, cosmetology, health science, criminal justice, agriculture, business, culinary arts, and audio/video production.
“I taught the kids about health science,” senior Alejandra Arriaga said. “We showed them how to put on a stethoscope, how to hear blood pressure and how to hear their hearts. We told them the kind of career they can have in health science. I got letters today that a girl wants to be a veterinarian.
Intermediate students wrote letters to their favorite program in appreciation for coming to their school.
“Dear HHS Video game design, thanks for teaching me about cameras. In the future I will join yearbook so I can take pictures,” a letter from sixth grader Clark Hanson said. “I’m also glad that I could learn about programming video games.”
Ambassadors created a presentation for their program and brought examples of the types of tools and devices students would use. They explained what the classes did throughout the year, encouraging students to join when they go to high school.
“I told the students about the culinary program,” senior Mason Pegoda said. “We had a presentation and kitchen utensils to show them. We told them about the field trips that we take and how much money you can make working in the culinary field.”
The ambassador program will be teaching Mance Park middle school about the classes as well throughout the school year.
“I knew the high school students would be able to teach the kids about certain career fields with presentations and hands on learning and keep the kids interested,” Shaw continued. “Because of this program, the CTE field will grow.”