Band competes in Area U.I.L. marching contests

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Huntsville Military Marching Band marches in the Preliminary Area UIL marching competition at Galena Park Stadium on Sat. Oct. 26.

The Huntsville Military Marching Band marches in the Preliminary Area UIL marching competition at Galena Park Stadium on Sat. Oct. 26. "There was a bigger crowd and we were the last ones to march. We were also judged differently which made the competition harder," senior flute player Destyne Castilla said.

Rob Kennedy

Rob Kennedy

Rob Kennedy

Hayley Ulery, Writer

The Huntsville Military Marching Band, HMB, competed in the Area University Interscholastic League, U.I.L., competition this past Sat. Oct 26 at the Galena Park ISD Stadium.
“It was my first-year marching in an Area competition, and we’ve been working for it all year. We could have done better, but it was a solid performance,” sophomore baritone player Zachary Wilson said.
To attend Area, bands must have made all ones at the Region competition at Woodforest Stadium on Tues. Oct. 22; at area bands competed against each other and were ranked based on scores received from the five judges, three music and two marching.
“There was a bigger crowd and we were the last ones to march. We were also judged differently which made the competition harder,” senior flute player Destyne Castilla said.
Bands are scored out of 1,000 points; the top seven bands marched again in the finals round and were scored and ranked for a second time.
“I think the band’s attitude and the effort they’ve put into practicing is what helped us go this far,” freshman flute player Trista Ward said.
The HMB received an average point score of 640 and placed 13th overall, with eighteen total bands also having received straight ones at Region contest.
“Once we have to perform in front of a large crowd, I think our adrenaline kicks and people start to get nervous. At practice, there’s no one other than our band directors there to judge us,” junior clarinet player Elizabeth Juarez said.
The top three bands will be advancing to the UIL State Marching Band Championship in San Antonio.
“I am very proud of all of the hard work the HMB has put in this marching season. Even though we didn’t finish in finals like we wanted, the students have been doing some amazing work in practice and we still had a solid performance on Saturday,” head band director John Green said. “We are now looking forward to the NAMMB Marching Contest this Saturday, November 2nd at SFASU.”