Band competes in military marching competition

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Huntsville Military Marching Band performs at the Texas State Military Marching Contest sponsored by the National Association of Military Marching Bands. “I am very proud of our performance on Saturday. I felt like it was one of our best performances of the year despite the ratings not being what we would like. I have enjoyed watching the band perform this drill throughout this marching season,” head direct John Green said.

Rob Kennedy

Rob Kennedy

Rob Kennedy

Hayley Ulery, Writer

Competing against strictly military style marching bands on Sat. Nov. 2, the Huntsville Military Marching Band, HMB, marched in the Texas State Military Marching Contest at Homer Bryce Stadium on the Stephen F. Austin State University campus. The band received four second division ratings and one first division rating with an overall rating of 2nd division, placing 5th overall in their division.
“I think our biggest challenge was the cold and I think that affected how we performed,” freshman clarinet player Viviann Hoeser said.
The competition was sponsored by the National Association of Military Marching Bands, NAMMB where only military style bands can compete.
“It’s nerve racking, it’s the one time we get the chance to compete against other names who are like us,” junior alto saxophone player Edenilson Cabrera said.
The bands compete within their divisions for first division ratings from the five judges, which would earn the band a Superior Performance Trophy.
“Although we didn’t place between the eight 5A bands, we went and gave it our best and left it all on the field tonight,” senior baritone player Christian Savoy said.
The band has completed in the NAMMB contest for the past three years and plans to continue the tradition with future HMBs.
“I am very proud of our performance on Saturday. I felt like it was one of our best performances of the year despite the ratings not being what we would like. I have enjoyed watching the band perform this drill throughout this marching season,” head direct John Green said.