Students place at first UIL Invitational of season

+Junior+Marvin+Ochoa+placed+3rd+in+Ready+Writing+and+2nd+in+Copy+Editing+and+sophomore+Caroline+Scott+placed+5th+in+Ready+Writing.+%E2%80%9CI+wasn%E2%80%99t+expecting+to+get+an+award+and+was+very+surprised+to+place%2C%E2%80%9D+sophomore+Caroline+Scott+said.%0A

Lisa Black

Junior Marvin Ochoa placed 3rd in Ready Writing and 2nd in Copy Editing and sophomore Caroline Scott placed 5th in Ready Writing. “I wasn’t expecting to get an award and was very surprised to place,” sophomore Caroline Scott said.

Samantha Ray, Writer

Sat., Jan. 18th, students competed in multiple academic competitions at this year’s first University Interscholastic League, UIL, invitational at Willis High School. Six students and one team placed.
“I thought that we were very successful, and I was really proud of the kid’s hard work,” UIL co-coordinator Angela Gaston said. “I’m hoping this gives them confidence so they will do well when it really matters, which is district, but it’s also important to give new students a better idea of what is expected at the competitions.”
Caroline Scott placed 5th in Ready Writing, Namrata Mathew placed 1st in Spelling, Thomas Williams placed 2nd in Mathematics, Xinyao Wang placed 4th in Accounting and 6th in Computer Applications, Erick Castillo placed 3rd in Accounting and 5th in Computer Applications, Marvin Ochoa placed 3rd in Ready Writing and 2nd in Copy Editing, and the Computer Applications team placed 2nd.
“I placed fifth in Ready Writing and it was overall pretty fun. I wasn’t expecting to get an award and was very surprised to place,” sophomore Caroline Scott said.
Competing in invitationals gives students experience and helps them prepare for the next contest.
“I participated in Spelling and Vocabulary, Headline Writing, as well as Copy Editing,” sophomore Natalia Pinell said. “The meet really taught me how to study and prepare mentally for exams.
The next invitational meet will be Feb. 22nd at A&M Consolidated. Students are already preparing and practicing for the next meet.
“For the upcoming meet, I plan on participating in the Science and Editorial Writing contests, as well as Ready Writing and Copy Editing. I’ll prepare by reviewing the science packets and by reviewing past Ready Writing prompts,” junior Marvin Ochoa said.