Swim moves on to region competition

+From+left+to+right%2C+senior+Emily+Dawson%2C+freshman+Reece+Esser%2C+and+freshman+Mattie+Warner+receiving+sixth+place+ribbon+in+the+Girls+200+yard+Medley+Relay.+%E2%80%9CDistricts+is+over%2C+we+have+four+girls+going+for+a+relay+and+Luke+Durham.+We+need+to+walk+the+line+between+resting+and+practice+in+the+next+week+to+prepare+for+region%2C%E2%80%9D+coach+Kyle+Meyers+said.%0A%0A

Amanda Cason

From left to right, senior Emily Dawson, freshman Reece Esser, and freshman Mattie Warner receiving sixth place ribbon in the Girls 200 yard Medley Relay. “Districts is over, we have four girls going for a relay and Luke Durham. We need to walk the line between resting and practice in the next week to prepare for region,” coach Kyle Meyers said.

Hayley Ulery

At the Tomball Aquatic Center on Sat. Jan. 25th, the high school’s swimming team competed in the district meet against seven other schools. With district over and five students, Luke Durham, Emily Dawson, Savannah Jensen, Reece Esser, and Mattie Warner continuing to the regional competition in Magnolia on Jan. 31st and Feb. 1st
“The goal is to place in the top six; these swimmers automatically qualify for Regionals which is held in Magnolia Jan. 31st through Feb. 1st,” head coach Amanda Cason said.
To prepare for the meet, the students have attended several invitational and continued practicing drills and sets that are specific to the events they wanted to compete in on Sat.
“Because it’s district, there’s more competition and there’s more times to beat which make it more stressful,” junior Rachel Meadows said.
District provided a more controlled and organized environment for the swimmers compared to the invitational meet held at the same facility in the past; granting students more opportunities to focus on their events.
“The meet was organized well, with fewer teams it made it easier to navigate the pool in-between events,” freshman Reece Esser said.
At previous invitational competitions the team competed against over a dozen other teams, this time the number of teams was seven, but the expectations were the same.
“I was nervous going into it; I was placed fourth going into my event and I placed fourth coming out of it, now I’ve made regionals,” freshman Luke Durham said.